No matter where you live, you will definitely need to carry your heavy furniture either while shifting to a new house or for renovating the old one or even to change the current setting of the place. Now, you may be thinking that you will need some help for this. Don’t worry! We are here to provide you 7 tips for shifting heavy furniture without the help of any professional.
1. DRAG THE FURNITURE
To move heavy furniture like sofas, couches, tables and others you can place plastic sliders below the legs of furniture. If plastic sliders are not available you can even use large cardboard pieces, moving pads and blanket. It is very simple to use a blanket for sliding furniture; just place the furniture on the blanket spread on the floor and drag the furniture. It will not just make your job easy but will also protect your furniture and floor from any damage.
2. PURCHASE TOOLS FOR SHIFTING FURNITURE
Given below are the three tools that you can easily purchase from online shopping websites.
• Furniture Shifting Tool
The furniture shifting tool allows you to shift furniture effortlessly. It has been designed with protective rubber tip that protects your furniture from any damage. This type of tool is perfect for moving heavy furniture like couches, beds, refrigerators and more.
• Moving Straps
You can easily adjust these straps according to the length and size of the furniture. It reduces the weight of the furniture being carried and ensures proper lifting techniques. These types of straps prevent your floors from scratches, scrapes, scuffs and dents.
• Moving Dollies
Moving dollies are extremely helpful in moving extra heavy furniture. You can even use it for moving heavy furniture up and down the stairs.
3. MOVE TALL FURNITURE HIGH & LOW
For carrying the tall furniture high & low, one person has to hold the furniture from top and the other has to hold it from bottom. Lean the furniture backward at some angle while carrying. This keeps the furniture at centre and prevents it from swinging uncontrollably.
4. SAFEGUARD YOUR FURNITURE
You must be extra careful while moving a fragile or unique item. Tie large bands and pads on your wooden furniture to protect them from any scratches or damage. You can even use a professional grade shrink wrap can also be used to safeguard your upholstered furniture.
Moreover, almost everybody is concerned about protecting their flooring specially if it is of tile, hardwood, vinyl or carpeted. To protect your floor and walls from damage, you can cover the sharp corners of your furniture with thick cardboard or place protective polythene sheets wherever you think is overcrowded. This will not just protect your furniture but also save you from incurring expensive home repairs.
5. USE TECHNIQUES TO SHIFT SPECIFIC TYPES OF FURNITURE
For moving couches and sofas through corridors carry them vertically. If your couch is quite taller than the door, begin with the top away from the door so that you acquire several inches of space.
For moving big chairs, turn them in such a way that the chairs look like L shape. First, move the back of chair around the corner and then out the doorway.
For mattresses, you might have noticed that some mattresses come with handles. To carry the mattress, simply tie a rope through handles, slip PVC pipe over the ends of rope and tie each end to create a sling. It will give you a good grip on the mattress.
6. REMOVE THE ITEMS INSIDE FURNITURE
If you are shifting a wardrobe, dresser or a bookcase make sure you remove the items inside. Even there are some furniture in which you can remove the drawers, shelves and legs making them easier to carry through the doorway.
7. MAKE A PLAN FOR PLACING THE FURNITURE
It is extremely important to plan where the furniture will be placed. By this way, you don’t have to move the same furniture multiple times.
Read Also: Budget-Friendly Hand Tools You can Purchase Online
Precautions to be taken to prevent injury while shifting furniture
• Always make sure that the exit pathways are free from obstacles that can hurt you or make you fall. Even the pathways outside the house should also be free from obstacles like water, mud and others.
• While lifting any furniture make use of legs, arms and shoulders instead of back. Also, keep your back straight, knees bend and make use of lower limbs to move any furniture.
• Always remember that pushing the heavy furniture is more preferable than pulling them.
• If you want to turn while holding heavy furniture, do not twist your body rather make use of your feet.
• Take small steps while moving the furniture as sudden movements can create pressure on your body parts.
• Make sure you lift heavy items up to your waist and not at the shoulder level. If you will try to lift furniture over your head it will put pressure on your arm and back and can even pull your muscle.
Best Tips for Purchasing Home Appliances Online
9 Travel Items that will Make Your Every Trip Happening